Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips

Thanksgiving Pet Safety Tips

Don’t give in to persuasive purrs and puppy-dog eyes this Thanksgiving!  Many of the holiday treats we love can cause health problems for our pets if they eat them. Here are some tips to keep your pets safe this holiday:

  • Don’t leave wine glasses at snout or tail level. Alcohol can cause severe drops in body temperature, blood pressure and blood sugar. Overactive tails could also knock over glasses and broken glass can easily cause injuries.
  • Turkey—and especially turkey skin and gravy—is high in fat, and because of this, even small amounts can trigger pancreatitis. Pancreatitis has potentially fatal side effects like dehydration and liver and kidney damage. Small turkey bones can also get lodged in your pet’s gastrointestinal system and cause blockages.
  • You already know chocolate is dangerous for pets. But baking chocolate has even higher concentrations of caffeine and theobromine, the two substances in chocolate that are extremely toxic to dogs and cats. If you’re using baking chocolate in your desserts this Thanksgiving, or any other chocolate for that matter, keep nosy snouts out of the kitchen!


Show your pets you’re thankful for them by keeping them safe this Thanksgiving! If you have any questions about keeping your pet healthy and happy this holiday, give us a call at 503-579-3300.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.